Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Children's Mercy Hospital Memorial 2009


This Sunday was the yearly memorial for Children's Mercy Hospital. Each year they have a Memorial Service for children that have died at their hospital. We attended last year as well. This year was extra special because they were unveiling and dedicating the 2008 quilt.

Each year families can create a quilt block for their child. A group of volunteer puts the blocks together to create an amazing quilt. Myself and two friends from my grief group had stewed over our quilt blocks for months. We wanted them to be perfect and kind of stressed ourselves out over them! We all waited until the last minute to create them and turn them in. I created Sam's with digital scrapbooking materials, as did my friend Julie for her son, Micah. Our friend Sally had a family member create Tommy's quilt square. We were all pleased with how the quilt turned out. And I think we were all fairly surprised at how emotional it was. But I am so proud to see my boy's beautiful face on there!!! It will be displayed in the hospital for some years to come!

Here is the entire quilt:

Here is Sam's square.....

and a close up of the words if you need it....

This is Micah, son of my friends Julie and Kirk......
And this is Tommy, son of my friends Sally and Todd.....

Also at the memorial, they have a large tree set up. If you wish you can take a leaf, write a note to your child, and pin it to the tree......

And here is my note to Sam....

The Memorial was nice. At the end we do a butterfly release. I will save that story and those photos for another day and another post.
******************
We miss you everyday my dear boy!! I am so proud to call you my son and to share you with the world!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin